dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vanhegan Fiendish September 10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlanglet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Vanhegan Fiendish September 10 Reply with quote

I completed this puzzle in two steps, but the first move was the hard one for me.

Code:

+-------+-------+-------+
| 4 8 . | 2 . . | . 7 3 |
| 6 . 5 | . 3 . | 4 . 8 |
| . 3 7 | 8 . . | 6 1 . |
| . . . | . . . | 2 . 7 |
| . 5 . | . . . | . 6 . |
| 9 . 4 | . . . | . . . |
| . 1 6 | . . 3 | 7 9 . |
| 7 . 3 | . 8 . | 1 . 6 |
| 5 2 . | . . 7 | . 8 4 |

Play this puzzle online at the Daily Sudoku site

My two steps:
Quote:
extended xy-wing 35-9 with vertex 35 in r4c4 and pincer 59 in r4c6. The extended pincer is: (3)r4c4 - (3=4)r5c4 - (4=8)r5c6 - (8=9)r5c7 - (9)r5c9 = (9)r3c9. Thus, r3c6<>9
This opened up a xy-wing 45-9 with vertex 45 in r3c6 and pincer 59 in r3c9. The extended pincer is: (4)r3c6 - (4=8)r5c6 - (8=9)r5c7. Thus, r5c9<>9.

I suspect a one step solution is available but ...............

Ted
storm_norm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted, nice work on the extended xy-wings.
for a one stepper, one way would be to perform some major medusa on this grid of mostly bi-values.
hint, start with the {5,9} pair in box 3.
Marty R.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted,

I've seen the term "Extended XY-Wing" used to describe a few different things, thus making the term confusing.

However, this is the first time I've seen reference to an XY-Wing that involves only two cells. Have I been living in a cave? On the other hand, if this type of wing is new and/or not widely known, perhaps you could explain it in the Solving Techniques sub-forum.

Thanks.
wapati

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty R. wrote:
Ted,

I've seen the term "Extended XY-Wing" used to describe a few different things, thus making the term confusing.

However, this is the first time I've seen reference to an XY-Wing that involves only two cells. Have I been living in a cave? On the other hand, if this type of wing is new and/or not widely known, perhaps you could explain it in the Solving Techniques sub-forum.

Thanks.

Not sure what you are thinking of Marty.
I see a 4 cell xy-chain, or an extended xy-wing.

In fact at least two, with different eliminations.
tlanglet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty R. wrote:
Ted,

Thanks.

Marty,

I am sorry about any confusion I may have caused by the wording/terminology I used in this post. Terminology seems to be a re-occurring problem when posting on this forum. Recently, I used the term "xy-wing with pseudocell pincer", which resulted in questions/confusion by some. I also recall a furry of posts about terminology several months ago that lead to a suggestion that we, the folks that participate on this website, formulate a set of common definitions in order to reduce the confusion factor, but the effort never materialized. Lately, I have been posting less frequently simply because the effort to prepare a "good" post that explains what steps I used without writing a full novel but provides adequate detail exceeds the pleasure of sharing with others.

In this post, I had two xy-wings; both had vertex, XY, and one pincer, say XZ, in a common row/column/box. The second pincer, YZ, was found by following the logical implications of setting the vertex to Y and looking for Z. This "implication" process is an AIC, and I used that notation to post the steps I used. The overall end result of this process is an AIC, and maybe I should simply call it that. However, I always start the process looking for a xy-wing and so that is what I have named it in my posts.

So no, I have not found a wonderful, new technique but am only struggling to post a step that does not have a fixed, unique pattern and thus does not have a fixed name.

Ted
Marty R.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted, I appreciate the explanation. AICs are not in my arsenal, unfortunately. I do hope you can find a way to up the frequency of your posts to its previous level.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Other puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: