dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sneak Preview - A Squiggly

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nataraj

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Sneak Preview - A Squiggly Reply with quote

Quite some time ago, I started to really like those "squiggly" sudokus. They need a very different way of looking at the puzzle, no "advanced" steps, hardly any "solvers" - it's all about basics, really!

So, for the last couple of months I've been thinking about adding other types of sudoku to the Sudok-o-Rama, most notably the aforementioned squigglies. I hope to get things smoothed out over this and the next weekend, in order to have a daily non-classic sudoku online starting August 1, but - since my leisure time is rather limited - the "going live" date could well be postponed until end of August.

Anyway, here's my first "roll your own" squiggly, a kind of preview exclusively for you guys here on dailysudoku.com:

also available as .pdf: http://sudoku.saueregger.at/squigglyforeshots20110723.pdf

I solved the puzzle by hand and I seem to have created a pretty tough one on my first try.

Hint:
Quote:
I needed the "Law of Leftovers" (LoL) to solve the puzzle. In particular, I used the LoL on the group of rows 1-4 and 5-9 to find out that since the leftovers above the line do not contain a "4", there cannot be a "4" in the leftovers below the line, hence r6c1<>4

I needed the LoL once more, this time between rows 5 and 6, to deduce r5c9=9

But there are many ways to skin a squiggly, so your mileage may vary ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Other puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: